Friday, May 28, 2010

Discriminations? I don’t’ think so!

First of all where does it say in the policy that “if you have a tattoo we will discriminate against you”? No one said anything about discrimination. They didn’t state “if you have a tattoo we have a right to fire you” they simply set a policy requiring you to not have any visible while working. I can’t imagine any of us who have not had work policies. I’ve worked at companies that have written policies about appearance and hygiene and I do not think this is any different. I think every company or organization has a right to set policies for their employees. It says in the article that the Air Force has a similar policy and I don’t hear anyone crying discrimination against them.
I was curious to read what others commented about the article, here were some of my findings:
“When I am hiring people for work and two people are in the running my choice will always be for the one who looks clean and professional - tatoos makes people look dirty and nose rings look like boogers are hanging from their nose. I can judge people by their appearance and determine that their look is not what I want in my company. That is my right. The consequence of your "personallity" would be not getting the job. If you want to wear those things on your own time that is your right. Who I choose to represent my business is my right. Sometimes looks are "everthing!!!!!!".”
“I am a college graduate, I dont smoke, drink, I am not over weight, and I have a great job, I am married with two little girls, I attend church and I HAVE 3 TATTOOS. Am I a freak? Get a life! You people who get offended by a simple tattoo need to grow up and get a life.”

It is obvious that some of the opinions are very different but I must agree with the first, you choose who you want to represent you and your company. However, the second commenter does have a good point. Either way I am strongly against discrimination but in my opinion, this is not discrimination.

1 comment:

  1. I find interesting what one of the commentators mentioned about "the consequence of your personality." Could it be extremely common for people to assume that it takes a certain kind of personality in a person to get a tattoo? Could it also be possible that poeple assume that the "tattooed personality" is not what they want in their employees? When an employer is interviewing a potential employee, they take into consideration how that person acts and every single thing he/she says in order to make a judgement on whether or not that person is fit for a position. It might be possible that tattoos speak louder than words. I dont think people are wrong to judge that way, especially if that judgement could be to protect from potential harm to their business.

    ReplyDelete